Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Get Out as Early as You Can

1) Creative Quakers.

2) My lovely housemate/coworker/friend since 4th grade Natalie Braun, for many reasons, but most recently for graciously pointing out that in my last entry I used "it's" instead of "its." The offensive misuse of the apostrophe has been corrected. I'm very sorry for having subjected you to that!
2b. On the subject of Natalie Braun, I am a big fan of friends that you've known for most of your life. I am lucky enough to have a bunch of those, some of whom I get to see on a regular basis. Here is a wonderful picture from High School of two lovely ladies that I got to spend time with today who I have known for twelve years (I think that this is what joy looks like):

3) Halloween costumes for dogs. Particulary #11.

4) This poem by Philip Larkin (please note: I love my parents very much, they are wonderful parents, and I hope to someday be as wonderful of a parent for my own kids. But this poem is also very true).

This Be the Verse

They fuck you up, your mum and dad
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

Philip Larkin



No comments:

Post a Comment