Monday, November 1, 2010

What is the Spring to me?

1. This song by Sodastream.

2. The cd recently sent to me by Latia Danielle Jointer. When I was at Earlham, I was part of a gospel choir called "Gospel Revelations," and it was wonderful. Thanks to the cd Tia sent me, I can kind of pretend to be in G-Revs again while I drive or clean my room. Although it's hard to do the hand motions to "Back to Eden" while driving, just saying.

3. The poem "the Death of Autumn" by Edna St. Vincet Millay:
When reeds are dead and straw to thatch the marshes,
And feathered pampas-grass rides into the wind
Like Ag├Ęd warriors westward, tragic, thinned
Of half their tribe; an over the flattened rushes,
Stripped of its secret, open, stark and bleak,
Blackens afar the half-forgotten creek,--
Then leans on me the weight of the year, and crushes
My heart. I know that beauty must ail and die,
And will be born again, --but ah, to see
Beauty stiffened, staring up at the sky!
Oh, Autumn! Autumn! --What is the Spring to me?

4. Butternut squash pancakes! We had leftover cooked butternut squash from when Natalie made squash pie, so I tweaked a recipe for vegan pumpkin pancakes, and they were delicious.
Here's the recipe, with my changes:
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups water1/2 cup soy milk
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup mashed, cooked butternut squash
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or white if necessary)Combine soymilk with the tsp vinegar in a separate bowl. Give it 5 minutes to curdle (this is like using buttermilk). Stir together squash, spices, sugar, water and soymilk in mixing bowl. Add in remaining ingredients and stir JUST UNTIL MOIST, NO LONGER. Let sit 5 minutes to rise and lightly stir again. Let rest 5 more minutes and cook them up. Makes about 10 5" pancakes.

5. My sister Laurel's and her boyfriend's homemade halloween costumes:

No comments:

Post a Comment