Tuesday, December 21, 2010

What Looks to be a Fake Tattoo on my Arm

1) Songs about parents. Here are some of my favorites:
- Landslide - Fleetwood Mac
- Hey Mama - Kanye West

- Momsong - the Be Good Tanyas
- Father - Horse Feathers
- Pale Green Things - the Mountain Goats
- Mother - Pink Floyd
- Hello Dad - Melissa Ferrick


2) Poems about parents. Here are some of my favorites:
- This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin
They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

- Those Winter Sundays - Robert Hayden
What did I know, what did I know, of love's austere and lonely offices?
- Daddy - Sylvia Plath
You stand at the blackboard, daddy,
In the picture I have of you,
A cleft in your chin instead of your foot
But no less a devil for that, no not
Any less the black man whoBit my pretty red heart in two.
I was ten when they buried you.
At twenty I tried to die
And get back, back, back to you.
I thought even the bones would do.

- My Father Moved Through Dooms of Love - e.e. cummings
and nothing quite so least as truth--i say though hate were why men breathe--
because my Father lived his soul

love is the whole and more than all


3) This picture, taken by Rosie Nevins. I think that it pretty well illustrates many of the key elements of my time at Earlham College:
duct tape ID holder, ceramic bowl,
shirt I bought at Goodwill and lost within 2 months,
side bangs, flowers from a professor,
what looks to be a fake tattoo on my arm,
sarong on the wall, Dr. Pepper, face paint,
strings of lights, paper chains, my camera,
balloons, Brimballs getting dressed up in my living space,
and a look of general confusion/bewilderment.

No comments:

Post a Comment