Sunday, April 3, 2011

"I've seen this one before."

1. Yesterday the Young Friends in Residence program got enough funding to finish 2011, and was given a line in the NYYM operating budget for 2012! Thank you, New York Yearly Meeting! Dear readers, if you know anyone who might be interested in being a Young Friend in Residence, please send them my way.

2. the 56 Worst/Best Analogies of all time, collected by high school teachers. My favorites:
- From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you’re on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.
- He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.
- Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.
- Her date was pleasant enough, but she knew that if her life was a movie this guy would be buried in the credits as something like “Second Tall Man.”
- I felt a nameless dread. Well, there probably is a long German name for it, like Geschpooklichkeit or something, but I don’t speak German. Anyway, it’s a dread that nobody knows the name for, like those little square plastic gizmos that close your bread bags. I don’t know the name for those either.

3. Playing for Change

4.
Dad: I've seen that one before.
Me: Really dad? It came out in 2010.
Mom: He says that about everything! We'll be watching the daily news and he'll say "I've seen this one before!"

5. My Earlham friends Laura and Caitlin have started a comic strip about my former college roommate Jenny Lawson. The most exciting part for me, other than seeing my college friends portrayed in comic form, is that I get to see these comics earlier than the general public because I watch America's Next Top Model with Laura on a weekly basis.
Even you know Jenny, Croatian readers, because I like to make fun of her on this here blog. She even has her own tag. Go to the list of tags on the right and click on "Q-Shack" to see all of the posts that reference Jenny. She is certainly a character. Do not let this sudden fame go to your head, Punky, you're still a Bungholio.

6. Stephen Colbert singing Rebecca Black's "Friday" on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. What had happened was Colbert made a promise on TV that Jimmy Fallon would donate a large sum of money to Donors Choose, so Fallon made a promise on TV that if that large sum of money was donated by viewers, Colbert would do this:



7. Found picture of me in 2008 trying to be Amelie.

No comments:

Post a Comment