Monday, June 27, 2011

Cheesy but Beautiful

1. I'm rereading the seventh Harry Potter book, although it's almost like reading it for the first time. See, it came out the day that I got my wisdom teeth out. Jaws swollen like a chipmunk, cheeks bruised, gums still bleeding and hopped up on Vicodin, I read the entire book in one night. My memories of its contents are extremely disjointed, and I think I made some of them up. Anyway, it's been enjoyable to relive the experience, this time more cognizant. But damn, it's pretty scary.

2. Possibly the cheesiest Mountain Goats song ever written, but I still love it:

3. Since we're doing cheesy but beautiful, here's a poem!


The Journey
Mary Oliver

One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice--
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do--
determined to save
the only life you could save.

2 comments:

  1. You read book seven in one night on vicodin?!?! Either you have a gigantic brain or you skipped some chapt... er, colorfully abridged some chapters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can be a very fast reader, but in this case I think that in my Vicodin induced mania I read so quickly that parts of the books didn't even get processed in my brain, especially near the end.

    ReplyDelete