Saturday, June 25, 2011

New York

the Empire State Building's got pride
Hello, blogosphere.
Last night the New York State senate voted for the Marriage Equality Act, giving same sex couples the right to marry in New York. I've said before that gay marriage is not my number one priority when it comes to gay rights, if I were in charge of the gay agenda we would have started with issues of employment, hate crime legislation, and gender expression nondiscrimination.
But I'm still really freaking excited that I can now get married in my home state. It's like Cuomo said - it's less about marriage and more about equality. This is a huge step towards acknowledging that a person's sexual orientation in no way affects their rights as Americans and human beings.

 Last night I said that if the NYS senate passed the Marriage Equality Act I would find a cigar and smoke it in celebration. Cigars are gross, readers. So I smoked it a little bit, but mostly posed for silly pictures (note that I am wearing my lovely NY state pendant):
I decided to save the rest of the cigar to put in my memory box, and foolishly put it in my leather purse for safe keeping. Oh the lack of forethought. Oh the stench.

New York Times article, the Road to Gay Marriage

Slideshow from last night on the NY Times.
“I cannot deny a person, a human being, a taxpayer, a worker, the people of my district and across this state, the State of New York, and those people who make this the great state that it is the same rights that I have with my wife.” -  Senator Mark J. Grisanti, a Republican from Buffalo,  33rd vote for the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment