Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Petrichor

1. Somehow I'd forgotten about Neutral Milk Hotel. How could I do that?
lyrics

2. I forgot to write about my experience seeing the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 with Jenny. We saw it at the Loews near Lincoln Center, a really beautiful theatre. We got to sit on the balcony, right up at the front, and put our feet on the railing. It also provided a great view of peoples' faces as they watched the movie, which was almost as enjoyable as the movie itself. I also enjoyed people applauding and cheering at exciting moments.
I wasn't expecting to get emotional - of course the Harry Potter series was a major part of my adolescence. When it started, I was the same age as Harry Potter. My dad bought me the second and third book before they came out in soft cover (something he never does) because he could see how into them I was. But for me, the seventh book was the end of the series, and I have little emotional attachment to the movies. BUT. When Dumbledore and Snape did their "After all this time?" "Always" bit, I was gone. What a fantastically well done scene.

3. The smell of rain on hot pavement is my favorite smell. It beats my mom's bread baking, cilantro, tomato plants, garam masala and wild roses. Someone (I can't remember who!) recently told me that there is a word for "the scent of rain on dry earth." I looked it up, and it's "petrichor." Wikipedia says that it combines the Greek petra (stone) and ichor (the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology). Stone gods' blood. I love it.

4.


5.

No comments:

Post a Comment