Saturday, July 30, 2011

This is how I know what a slow loris is

1. After picking up our CSA share on Wednesday (which is one of my favorite parts of the week, and I strongly suggest that if you have access and means to be part of a CSA to do it), I made ratatouille for the first time. When I was little, we called it "Rat-gooey." That name, combined with it's appearance to a child (it's all veggies, and some pulpy veggies too), meant that the word "rat-gooey" was always followed by the word "Ewwwwww!"
We all have to grow up sometime, though. Ratatouille is delicious, and really easy to make. It also allows for a lot of your own creativity/resourcefulness. I used this recipe, but made some adjustments. No peppers (not ripe yet), added some mushrooms, and poured in some TVP (textured vegetable protein) for protein. I also added more garlic and come cayenne pepper, as I do to pretty much everything I cook. We had it over whole wheat ziti, but it's also good on rice, as a stew, in crepes, or in any other number of ways.

2.
More like this at Dear Photograph.

3. TED Talks, Julian Treasure: 5 Ways to Listen Better
I expected this to be the usual listening tips that I've heard all the time, but Julian Treasure talks less about interpersonal communication and more about learning how to listen to everything and appreciate all of the sounds happening in the world around us.

4. A great article about trans people in movies.
"“I have such respect for drag queens. But What is troubling about the mainstreaming of drag, and people conflating drag and being transsexual, is that people think this is a joke. My identity is not a joke. Who I am as a woman is not a joke. This is my life.”

5.
A Glittering - Sarah Manguso
One mourner says if I can just get through this year as if salvation comes in January.
Slow dance of suicides into the earth:
I see no proof there is anything else. I keep my obituary current, but believe that good times are right around the corner
Una grande scultura posse rotolare giĆ¹ per una collina senza rompersi, Michelangelo is believed to have said (though he never did): To determine the essential parts of a sculpture, roll it down a hill. The inessential parts will break off.
That hill, graveyard of the inessential, is discovered by the hopeless and mistaken for the world just before they mistake themselves for David's white arms.
They are wrong. But to assume oneself essential is also wrong: a conundrum.
To be neither essential nor inessential—not to exist except as the object of someone's belief, like those good times lying right around the corner—is the only possibility.
Nothing, nobody matters.
And yet the world is full of love . . .

6. This has been a kind of serious blog post! So here's this:

No comments:

Post a Comment