Monday, August 8, 2011

The recipe said serves 8, but that is a lie. Eat it all yourself.

1) My final conversation with the Census Lady who calls every four months to ask about my spending habits:
Census Lady: In the past 12 months, have you received any Federal Tax Returns?
Me: Yes.
Census Lady: How much?
Me: Five dollars.
Census Lady: You're kidding.
Me: Nope.

2) A peacock escaped from the Central Park Zoo, and a photographer took pictures of people's reactions as they watched the peacock perched on the windowsill of an apartment building.


3) At our retreat this past weekend we took the kids raspberry picking, and ended up with a whole lot of berries. Raspberries are my favorite berry, and in under 24 hours 13 people consumed seven of the eight quarts that we'd picked. Last night I was resolved to make a raspberry pie with the remaining quart. It always happens that when I look at pie crust recipes (vegan or nonvegan, they both intimidate me), my resolve turns to resignation to making cobbler. Then that resignation turns to joy because cobbler is delicious and easy to make! I used a recipe I found online, making adjustments to make it vegan. I also added about a cup of blackberries and two small peaches that we happened to have. I added less sugar than called for, and still it turned out super sweet - next time I'll use half as much. Here's the recipe, with a significant reduction in added sugar:
4 cups Fresh Raspberries
1/4 cup Margarine or Butter at room temperature
3/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Milk or Soy Milk
1 cup Flour
2 teaspoons Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/2 cup Water
Preheat oven to 350F.
Line an 8 inch or 9 inch square baking dish with raspberries.
Make batter by mixing margarine, 1/2 cup sugar, milk,flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
Pour batter over fruit and spread evenly.
Mix remaining sugar and water.
Pour over batter.
Bake for 1 hour.


4) Art art tiny leaf art

2 comments:

  1. I will make an all butter pie crust with you! It's fun. But I usually curse a lot, and sometimes scare people with my intense anger when I make pie crusts. Still, when it comes out right, it's all worth it.

    ReplyDelete