Saturday, January 14, 2012

enjoyable winter weather

1.

2. The fact that we haven't had a real snow all winter is letting me actually enjoy this one. It helps to be in a warm house with the knowledge that I can always walk somewhere if the roads are impassible. Also, my bedroom window provides a beautiful panorama of the city, Cayuga Lake, and the hills beyond - made even nicer with snow falling. 
I've discovered that it's pretty much impossible to get a picture that shows you the view beyond those trees, so you'll just have to take my word for it. 
3. Another one of my new year's resolutions/hopes is to try a new recipe once a week. Last week I made butternut squash risotto, which turned out pretty well. It was a fair amount of standing and stirring, and while the end result was tasty, it was a little too rich for me. This week I'm going to try a thai chicken soup. I will let you know how it turns out. 

4. A fairly accurate depiction of how I got through last winter.


5. I'm reading the Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (thanks, Q-Shack, for the recommendation), and it's very good. As I read, I write down all of the Spanish words that I don't know to look them up later. Turns out, they're almost all vulgar. If anyone who speaks spanish finds that list, which is also my bookmark, I hate to imagine what they'd think of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment