Sunday, January 29, 2012

"it started out as a joke, but it's becoming real!"

1. Cartographic bird cut-outs by Claire Brewster.




































2. My 12 year old little friend/sister showed me this video, and I enjoy it in spite of myself. My favorite bit is the dude in the suit dancing. 


3. Cecilia Paredes's portraits. More about them here. (Thanks, Laura!)

4. Finding out that someone you know has a really fantastic/strange/hilarious middle name.


5. Sometimes I think I over-identify with Liz Lemon. If you could hear my thoughts, you might agree. It's like my brain is where all of the Liz Lemon jokes that aren't quite funny enough to be on the show are born, and also where they die. 


6. 
19
Stop being holy, forget being prudent,
it'll be a hundred times better for everyone.
Stop being altruistic, forget being righteous,
people will remember what family feeling is.
Stop planning, forget making a profit,
there won't be any thieves and robbers.

But even these three rules
needn't be followed; what works reliably
is to know the raw silk,
hold the uncut wood.
Need little,
want less.
Forget the rules. 
Be untroubled.

- Lao Tzu in "Tao Te Ching: A Book About the Way and the Power of the Way," New English Version translated by Ursula K. Le Guin

No comments:

Post a Comment