Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Videos and Other Content

1. I am of the opinion that this is one of the best five minutes in music history. The blending of You Never Give Me Your Money and Carry That Weight is my favorite bit.

2. A while back, I considered talking about the recently coined term "manic pixie dream girl." I was pleased to see that others had recognized this pattern in female characters in film (it bothered me the most in "500 Days of Summer"), and were talking about it.  I don't think I ever did though, because I wasn't sure how to share it. Well, now there is this lovely video making fun of this phenomena. Imagine that Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character had married Zooey Deschanel's. (Also see: 4 Pieces of Relationship Advice Movies Need to Stop Giving and Four Lies Movie Taught Us About Dating). 


3. Staff person for the Ellen show inspired "Ellen's Dance Dare," challenging people to film themselves dancing behind unsuspecting people. I love it. 


4.
Wooden Heart by Dimitri Tsykalov
5. 
Though I am young, and cannot tell
    Either what Death or Love is well,
Yet I have heard they both bear darts,
    And both do aim at human hearts.
And then again, I have been told
    Love wounds with heat, as Death with cold;
So that I fear they do but bring
    Extremes to touch, and mean one thing.

As in a ruin we it call
    One thing to be blown up, or fall;
Or to our end like way may have
    By a flash of lightning, or a wave;
So Love’s inflamed shaft or brand
    May kill as soon as Death’s cold hand;
Except Love’s fires the virtue have
    To fight the frost out of the grave.
- Ben Jonson

1 comment:

  1. I am playing my students the entirety of Abbey Road during their after-school test prep session every day. Someday they will be grateful. Someday very, very far away from today.

    ReplyDelete