Thursday, April 19, 2012

what a job

1.
Me: I'm going to go wake up Baby. He's been asleep for three hours and we're supposed to go to the Science Center.
Emma: What a job, man. What a job.
We pretty much didn't leave the water table.
2.

3. Roy Staab! No known relation, I just found out about him today. 

4. 
No big deal, just an otter praying.
5. Okay, as promised, here is a little more awkward bearing of my soul. I hope you appreciate how much effort this takes and what a dork I feel like. 

When I was in my fourth year at Earlham, I was asked to lead College Meeting for worship. This meant preparing what was basically a sermon, choosing hymns to sing, passages to be read, and talking about theology/belief in front of whoever showed up. Horrifying. The topic of the semester was something like "Belief and Reason," and I talked about how my mom believes in ghosts but not God. I basically told everyone there how I conceptualized God, and it was damn tricky. If you're interested in reading what I shared, I will happily e-mail it to you. 

Anyway, another really tricky part was choosing hymns. I was raised liberal unprogrammed Quaker, I don't know many hymns. Chez recommended "His Eye is On the Sparrow." So we sang it. And I really like it. Like "Never Quite Free" by the Mountain Goats, I see it as being about feeling safe and loved in spite of everything - being empowered to live a happy and fulfilled life as best you can, because God's love is ever present and unconditional. 

His Eye Is On the Sparrow 
Civilla D. Martin

  1. Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
    Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
    When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
    • Refrain:
      I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
      For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
  2. “Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
    And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
    Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
  3. Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
    When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
    I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


1 comment:

  1. Hey, we met Roy Staab on Cape Cod at an art fair.

    ReplyDelete