Monday, May 14, 2012

Mega Post!

1. I like to play a game where I try to figure out what kind of person someone is by the contents of their shopping basket at the grocery store. Today I hoped no one was judging me, because I bought:
- a cast iron skillet (a 12" skillet for $19!)
- ice cream (to go with strawberry rhubarb torte, mentioned below)
- ant poison (I'm tired of killing the ants in my car one by one with the Ithaca Monthly Meeting directory, but I don't really feel like locating their food source).

2. Yesterday I hacked my dad's e-mail so that I could change his NY Times password and read this article about child psychopaths. Totally justified.

3. The transformative power of music!


4. Don't let what happened in North Carolina prejudice you against North Carolinians! Check out all of these people who voted against Amendment One.


5. Street art by Alice Pasquini.




6. One of the best songs of the past 10 years, covered and made totally different. Not work/kid safe.

7. Maurice Sendak's yearbook picture. Bahahahahahaha.

8. 

9. 

from Foreign Summer


All up the road
The trees will miss you
When you have climbed their shadows.
Far from their embraces you will go on.
You will be happy.
Hope will have thought of you at every turn.
You will have the wrong key in your hand.  



- W.S. Merwin


10. My grandmother's strawberry rhubarb torte recipe: 

7-8 good sized stalks of rhubarb (enough to cover the bottom of the baking dish)
1 quart of strawberries (enough for two layers over rhubarb)
3 whole eggs
1 1/4 cups of sugar 
3/4 cup white flower
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces and place in 9x13 baking dish (glass or ceramic). Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over the rhubarb. Place strawberries over the rhubarb. Combine eggs, sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla and poir over the top of the fruit. Bake for about one hour or until the juices are flowing and topping is golden. Serve with vanilla ice cream, yoghurt, or whipped cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment