Wednesday, May 16, 2012

something simpler than I could ever believe

1. Baby has learned how to give very loud, very wet, raspberries. So proud.

2. Awesome subway artist Ming Liang Lu. 

3. Ellen keeps making my life better:
"If you feel like you're not where you're supposed to be, you shouldn't worry - because the next turn you take, it could lead you to where you want to go. And you have to remember that famous quote, I think it's something like: 'Life is not about the destination, it's about being rich,' or something like that."

4. Horse Feathers! Okay, yes, a lot of their songs sound pretty similar. But if I'm going to listen to an album in which the songs are all pretty similar, I want it to sound like this! The new album, Cynic's New Year, hits the spot.





5. I've made French Onion Soup before, and it's always good, but this recipe from the Powell House Cook Book is particularly fantastic. You know how I love anything roasted. I used Better Than Bouillon for the vegetable stock, so I didn't add any salt or soy sauce at the end because it was salty enough. Used dried thyme instead of fresh. Didn't have any dry white wine. I also added about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar at the end. I topped it with toasted bread and melted munster cheese

FRENCH ROASTED ONION SOUP

Ingredients:
4 or 5 large spanish onions, cut into thin slices
8 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 bay leaves
2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme
3/4 to one cup dry white wine (optional)
8 cups basic dark vegetable stock
2 tablespoons soy sauce
salt and ground black pepper to taste
Optional Garnish: croutons, grated Gruyere, swiss, or parmesan cheese

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. In a large bowl, combine the onions, garlic, salt, oil, bay leaves, and thyme.
3. Spread the mixture in a single layer on rimmed non-reactive baking pans (one or two as needed).
4. Roast the onion mixture in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until the onions are softened and lightly browned.
5. Remove from the oven. Add the wine (or some stock) to the baking pans, and stir well with a wooden spoon to deglaze (scrape up the yummy burnt bits).
6. Carefully transfer the roasted mixture to the soup pot. Add the stock. soy sauce, and little salt and pepper; cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Find and discard the bay leaves. Taste test, and adjust the seasonings as needed.
8. Serve with croutons and grated cheese.

6. I've been real into W.S. Merwin recently. As has our country, I guess. 


Just Now


In the morning as the storm begins to blow away
the clear sky appears for a moment and it seems to me
that there has been something simpler than I could ever
   believe
simpler than I could have begun to find words for
not patient not even waiting no more hidden
than the air itself that became part of me for a while
with every breath and remained with me unnoticed
something that was here unnoticed unknown in the days
and the nights not separate from them as they came and
    were gone
it must have been here neither early nor late then
by what name can I address it now holding out my thanks 



- W.S. Merwin

No comments:

Post a Comment