Thursday, August 2, 2012

falling duckling make things better

1. I've been doing the job search thing recently, and it blows. Yesterday, I decided that instead of complaining about it on twitter, I should figure out how to make it (even slightly) less of an agonizing experience. I've got all of these fantastic friends, so I though, what could my friends feasibly do to support me in this? I made a list of my needs and posted it on facebook:
- Words of encouragement
- Experienced people to give advice on job search strategies
- Pictures of cute animals
- Volunteers to proof read cover letters, advice on cover letter writing in general
- Mix cds, spotify playlists, etc, since I won't have as much time as usual to look for new music
- First hand connections with places in Boston that I might work, or people who might give me a job
- Videos of dancing children/animals/anyone



Almost immediately, I received an outpouring of comments, messages, and wall posts. Kind words, offers of support, adorable animal pictures. I still have to apply to jobs, but now I feel like I have the support of some friends, and I know who I can reach out to if I need help. Thanks, friends.

2. 

Eagle Poem

To pray you open your whole self
To sky, to earth, to sun, to moon
To one whole voice that is you.
And know there is more
That you can’t see, can’t hear
Can’t know except in moments
Steadily growing, and in languages
That aren’t always sound but other
Circles of motion.
Like eagle that Sunday morning
Over Salt River. Circled in blue sky
In wind, swept our hearts clean
With sacred wings.
We see you, see ourselves and know
That we must take the utmost care
And kindness in all things.
Breathe in, knowing we are made of
All this, and breathe, knowing
We are truly blessed because we
Were born, and die soon, within a
True circle of motion,
Like eagle rounding out the morning
Inside us.
We pray that it will be done
In beauty.
In beauty.

- Joy Harjo


4. This song is just so great. Lyrics here

No comments:

Post a Comment