Sunday, September 9, 2012

Too Bad We're Out of Brownie Mix

Okay friends, apologies for my inactivity. I have a good excuse though: I have recently undergone a major life change. At the end of August, I said goodbye to Baby and Ithaca, packed up my things and moved to Boston. Jamaica Plain, to be exact. Everything is awesome here, aside from the fact that I don't have a job yet. We'll get there eventually.

1. On the subject of moving to JP, let me tell you the story of our new couch!
On Friday night, Natalie and I were walking back from dinner at my kind-of-sister's apartment, and came across a coffee table that someone had put out on the curb. We weren't sure if we wanted a coffee table, so we were discussing it, when a man walked out of the house. 
     "You should take that table!" he said, "Do you want a couch?"
We did want a couch, not so much the coffee table. He described the couch, said it was free, and told us to come back on Sunday at noon. We arrived at noon on the dot today, with two rolls of rope and Natalie's 1991 toyota camry. A crowd of this guy's friends watched as the couch was hefted onto the roof of the car, and then they all left. Neighbors continued to watch from their windows as Natalie and I tied the couch around the car as many times as the rope would go. 
      Just as we had determined that the couch would probably stay on the roof for the 1.5 miles that we had to go, a man with a thick Boston accent approached us and said "Listen, you're not going to make it a block with that couch." Apparently he'd been watching us from his house (his wife was still peering at us out the window) and had decided to come offer his assistance. "I have these straps though," he said "that I use to keep my boats on my car. I'll strap the couch on for you, you just have to promise to bring them back." Done deal. He strapped on the couch, we drove back, carried the couch into our living room (where it fits perfectly), and returned the straps.

A very successful adventure, and a great experience with some friendly JP folks. 


This is the back of our new house, by the way. 
    
2. 20 Badass quotes from the women of the Democratic National Convention.
My favorite: "Reproductive freedom means economic freedom. And that's what this debate is about." - Colorado Rep. Diana DeGette

3. 12 Hilarious Reviews of a Pen Just for Women.

4. 

Late Fragment

And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth.

Raymond Carver

No comments:

Post a Comment