Tuesday, October 30, 2012

lost keys but not advice

1. I'm pretty grateful that everyone I know is okay in the wake of Sandy. Grateful that the roof of my parents' house broke the fall of the tree, so that my dad was simply covered in insulation and plaster, not crushed. It makes me queasy to think about though. So I watch this video and it makes me feel a little better:

2. Last night we ate kale and sweet potato quesadillas, drank wine, and watched Much Ado About Nothing.  It was great.



4. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that this picture made me cry the first time I saw it. I just really love the Muppets, and Jim Henson. 

5. A poem by one of my Earlham professors, recently published in the Thrush Poetry Journal:

City of Weather

It’s all we talk about here    the way the sky
            lazy after a hot bath
            lies on us with all its weight
We change only to find ourselves damp again
Some weeks the rain comes and stays and leaves
            only to circle back again
            as though looking for lost keys
You’ll never find what you’re looking for that way
            I think
But the rain persists    interested in lost keys 
but not advice
The ground forgets what it’s for
            starts to wander off downstream
There’s nothing to hold the sidewalk in place
We close our umbrellas when we can
But here even the sun is a liquid
            sweat on the glass buildings
The night pools around our homes
The night weighs against the apartment windows
And in the morning 
We wake as though nothing
            has yet been decided 

- David Ebenbach

No comments:

Post a Comment