Sunday, October 7, 2012

my shoes hide in your dreams

1. Some nice people in Boston moments from last night:
- Waiting for the t, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned my head and a man was holding out a copy of the Boston Globe to me. I thanked him and took it, and he got on the train going the opposite direction. It was a good thing to have that newspaper too, cuz I was taking the t all the way to Somerville, a 40 minute ride.
- On the red line, a pair of parents and their 17 month old boy were having a rough time. He was obviously tired and grumpy, and was putting up a good fuss, when a man across from him started making funny faces and pulled him out of his funk.
- Waiting to meet Laura at Davis Square, a man with a clipboard came up to me and said "Ms, I need you." "I really don't think you do, sir..." I started to say. "I'm collecting money for..." he continued and held out his clipboard, which was titled with something about AIDs. I quickly said "I'm currently unemployed, I'm looking for a job, and I really support your cause, but right now I really can't..." He stopped me and said "It's okay." Giving me a hug, he said "You're really special, you know that?" and then he walked away to solicite some other strangers for donations. Thanks, random canvasser, I needed that.

2.
Enric Huguet


3.

I can't travel
away from you

rolling pine cone

Each time I go to leave
my shoes hide
in your dreams

- Cree poem, translated by Howard A. Norman

4. When you think about it, asking someone why they're still single is like asking a couple why they're not married or reproducing yet: people do it all of the time, but it is actually a really personal and kind of rude thing to ask, especially someone you don't know that well.

No comments:

Post a Comment