Monday, October 22, 2012

Sorry for my absence, friends. Here are some recently likeable things.

1. I've gotten the chance to spend a lot of the past two weeks with family, both in NY and Boston. Highlights include:
- A Staab sister reunion, plus friends, in a German beer hall in Brooklyn
- My 66 year old dad, my sister, and her partner, running a half marathon.


- A trip to the Bronx Zoo, probably the best zoo.

that's a sea lion painting a picture
- Seeing a terrible scary movie, mostly through my fingers (until I walked out altogether) with Anna and Felisa in Boston.
- This exchange with Felisa when she gave me a pair of boots that don't fit her...
Anna: They match your purse, Hel!
Felisa: You have become everything you despise!
Me: Huh? I don't actually have anything against matching, I just don't really put any energy into it...
Felisa: Oh, I see I misread the situation.

2. I saw the Mountain Goats live for the first time last Thursday. In order to understand why this was an incredibly important life event for me, you have to know that they have been my favorite band since I was 17. They came to play at Earlham when I was in Northern Ireland. They came to play in Ithaca when I was out of town for work. Last Thursday, the stars finally aligned, at it was perfect. I could talk about all of the ways in which it was perfect for a long time, but I'll spare you that. Here is a pretty good review of the concert. The reviewer did get one thing wrong, though... there was a second encore, after the house lights came on and half of the people left. Darnielle played "See America Right," "No Children," and finished with "The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton." The audience repeatedly sang "Hail Satan!" together before we left, the perfect end to a perfect night.

3. Very few of the Romney's Binder o' Ladies memes have been worth chuckling over. Here are a few exceptions.






These Amazon binder reviews are the best thing that's come out of all of this. 

4.
Anton Marrast


No comments:

Post a Comment